Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar, Barcelona

Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar, Barcelona
Basilica of Santa Maria del Mar, Barcelona

Monday 29 September 2014

A Taste of America

Since enjoying favourite American television programmes as a child from 'Bewitched'; to 'I Dream of Jeanie' and the New York based sitcom 'Rhoda' to name only three, I have long been influenced by the houses and lifestyles portrayed.  They always seemed more exciting than suburban London.  Combined with a lifelong interest in American food, cooking and subsequently wine, my collection of American cookbooks has expanded over the years from buying the 'Toll House Heritage Cookbook' on my first visit to Florida as a teenager so I could learn how to bake the best chocolate chip cookies; through the Silver Palate Cookbook and Martha Stewarts 'Art of Entertaining' treasured since my first visit to New York; plus the delights of Lee Bailey; and MFK Fisher amongst others; also for the past 15 years Ina Garten the wonderful 'Barefoot Contessa'.


Consequently I'm not sure why it took me so long to plan a trip to East Hampton, the area Ina champions, but I've just been following in her footsteps and after a few days in mid-Manhattan New York I took the Long Island Rail Road to explore.  A hundred miles out of the city and a world away, this favoured Summer playground of the rich and famous is a lovely place to visit.  In fact East Hampton was voted America's most beautiful village in a National Geographic poll.  (It would probably win the award for the most expensive place to stay too). 


The wide roads and beautiful beachfront are lined with many large multi-million dollar properties and the picturesque village is carefully preserved, with no high rise buildings, neon or advertising billboards.  Whilst there I tried some of Ina's favourite places including Nick & Toni's restaurant and her local 1770 House where I sat at the Tavern bar downstairs and ordered the famous meatloaf.  I can see why Ina's a regular there.   Her new book 'Make It Ahead' is coming out at the end of October, so I was too soon for the book launch tour, but at least I have now sampled Ina's slice of America and it was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment